Sunday, June 1, 2008

Not Enough Chocolate In The World

There's not enough chocolate in the world to restore my equanimity after discovering that gauge has once again lied to me. The fickle rat-b@stard. When I started the Loopy Ewe swap socks, I checked gauge and chose needles that gave me gauge. I rechecked it after I finished the first set of toe increases and still it was good. I just checked it now (starting the second heel gusset) and it's so far off there is no way these socks will fit the recipient.

Satafratarata.....

So, I guess, I will be starting a new pair of socks for the 52 Pair Plunge today after all. In a different yarn and a different pattern. One I've already done (the pattern anyway) and know to be nice and stretchy so hopefully I will be able to be wicked fast, and this pair will turn out to be the right size. Sigh. That rhythmic thumping you hear is me bashing my head against the wall.

3 comments:

AuntieAnn said...

I feel your pain. I recently frogged most of a sock for this same reason (gauge kicking my butt). Luckily for me it was an anklet.

Sheepish Annie said...

Gauge...don't believe the hype.

There may not be enough chocolate in the word, but I don't think it should stop you from trying to find an amount that works!

yarnivorous said...

D'OH!
I just finished a sock and realised that I made the bind off too tight, but I'd already cut it and wound in the ends...
Mmm, chocolate....